Wednesday, October 21, 2015

"You shall rise before the aged and show deference to the old."

         I choose this mitzvot because I think it is very true. We should honor and respect our elders because there lives are coming to an end and they are the most wise people we will ever meet. For me growing up, I always enjoyed just sitting on the couch next to one of my elders and listening to all they have to offer my brain. I think this is something that is overlooked in todays society but that should definitely be encouraged more. This mitzvot is interpreted as to respect, visit, talk, and listen to your elders because you don't know how much more time you will get with them. In my daily life I can fulfill this mitzvot by talking to the elders in my community or giving one of my elders a call. This mitzvot can be a guideline for me as a Jew in the modern world because it is a part of being a good person. Elders have so much to share with the world, and how else will tradition be passed down from generation to generation.
In the picture above you can see my Great Grandmother Ora, my two brothers Ben (left) and Alex (right), and myself. Even though this picture was taking a while ago I remember what is going on at that time. At that time my Great Grandmother was living in Long Island in a old aged home. We were saying goodbye to her after visiting for the day, and we weren't going to see her a while because she was moving down to Florida. This photo represents the Jewish value that I selected because my brothers and I were taking the time to connect to out grandmother and to listen to all she has to give to us. 

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you Zoe. I have such high regards in terms of family and feel that it is a key component to growing mentally. I think it is so meaningful that you have such a strong relationship with your Great Grandmother because she has so much insight and so many stories that are only going to fill you with knowledge and prosperity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this verse because I also think that it is true. Talking or even just being present in an elderly home can show the elderly that people care. They are wise, they have many stories to share, and we can many times take them for granted which is why it is so important to treasure the special moments that we have to spend with them.

    ReplyDelete