Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Ben Walton's Oral law assignment

         I chose Leviticus 19, verse 4: "Do not turn to idols or make molten gods for yourselves: I the lord am your G-d." Learning from history we find that a lot of the time Jews were assimilating and loosing their religion as they turned towards foreign worship avodah zara. G-d made this law so no one would be tempted to turn away from their Judaism. Today even though there are not many pagans around I can still relate to this law. Today I would put into context of the modern age in America. I live in the U.S. today where there are many Christians. If you were to walk into a church today you would probably find a cross. I believe that the cross is a form of avodah zara because people depict G-d from the cross. I believe people are committing avodah zara in the same way with the tapestries in my synagogue. On the tapestries in my synagogue we have art depictions of biblical stories and other unkosher art.
Image result for golden calf
This is a picture of a golden calf to represent the one that was made by the people at mount siani. I beleive this is amazing symbol of avodah zara because the people gave up on G-d at this moment. When Moses was on mount siani the people turned away from G-d cause they believed G-d had left them it was there were they started praying to a molten G-d which goes greatly against Leviticus 19, verse 4.
Ben Walton

2 comments:

  1. I personally would like to agree that the cross is avodah zara. I think praying to a person ( Jesus ) and taking figure of this person and their death is strange and not jewish in the slightest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the cross would definitely be considered avodah zara by Jewish standards. This is a figure of a person in a horrible position. I also think agree that this could be avoda zara because the emphasis on Jesus seems almost as equal to the Christian emphasis as God, which defeats the purpose of having only one god.

    -Rachael Coleman

    ReplyDelete