Friday, October 23, 2015

Israel Museum: Middle Ages

On our tiyul this past Wednesday, our class went to the Israel Museum to study Jewish customs, tradition, and culture as they were dispersed throughout Europe and the Middle East in the Middle Ages.  The Sparad and Ashkenaz, who were two of the major groups that lived around Spain and Germany at the time, showed signs of being immersed in the cultures around them as well as separating themselves from other cultures to show that they were Jewish weather it was by choice of by force in their kehilot (communities).  An example of being immersed in other cultures would be that many of the Jews began to change their dress, language, and names to fit in to the society they lived in.  
Head coverings worn by Jewish women



















These pictures show the dress of women that are from a different culture but the head coverings show that they still followed Jewish tradition at the same time.  An example of the Jews separating themselves from other cultures would be that they all still kept kosher, Shabbat, and spoke Hebrew even though they were forced to learn the languages that surrounded them.  

The Jewish kehilot can be looked at as both separated and unified.  One reason some of the kehilot were looked at as separated from each other was that they adopted contrasting customs and traditions from living around many different societies and cultures around them.  An example of the different customs and traditions that the kehilot followed were the life cycles of birth, Bar/Bat Mitzvah, weddings, and death.  A few customs that I learned about were the Huppa Stone that was used for weddings in Bingen, Germany in 1700 to break the glass.  I also learned about the reuse of prayer shawls at circumcisions and Bar Mitzvahs that came from Morocco in the 20th century.  On the other hand, the Jews were considered to be unified from the use of Hebrew as their universal language that everyone spoke.  Because many of the Jews were merchants and traveled for months at a time, they used Hebrew as an advantage to get food and shelter from the Jews that lived in other kehilot.  The use of one language allowed the traveling merchants to keep kosher, keep Shabbat, and celebrate holidays while they were away from their families and kehilot to continue tradition.  Another thing that many of the kehilot had in common was the use of Menorahs that were found and used by Jews all around the world.  In the museum, we got to a room that had the many Menorahs that were found and we were able to see the similarities and differences between them from the different kehilot and cultures.

Horb, Germany synagogue
Horb, Germany synagogue
Cochin, India synagogue
Because of the changing traditions that the Jews experienced from the involvement in other societies, different types of synagogues were built which represents the difference in Jewish culture in the different kehilot.  We were able to see an Indian and German synagogue to see the different types of artwork and what they valued in each kehilot. 







Manuscript with bird heads
We also got to see the illuminated manuscripts which showed us the importance of art and Judaism through it's writings while the Jews were dispersed throughout Europe and the Middle East.  Some of the artwork in the manuscripts were shown with the words but other artwork showed pictures of people with faces and others showed pictures of people with bird heads to avoid avodah zara.  This shows the true importance of Judaism while the Jews were spread out and how the artwork from the cultures around them eventually affected the Jewish culture. 

Throughout the Middle Ages, the Jews were dispersed but somehow managed to keep language and some similar traditions.  Would you say that the Jews were separated or unified in their many kehilot?  Why?  If you were a Jew living in the Middle Ages, would you want to blend in with the other cultures around you or would you want to distinguish yourself as a Jew?


15 comments:

  1. I think one of the most important aspects of cultural Judaism during this time was our ability to camouflage and to quietly settle down in foreign nations without assimilating. I would say that it's best to blend in with other cultures while keeping our religious life private so as to minimize conflict. I don't think that Judaism has to be a public religion, and our culture can be celebrated at home. Blending in provides a lot of economic and social benefits, whereas keeping yourself separate with entirely different clothing and culture from the country you live in is bound to produce friction. If I lived in the Middle Ages I would definitely keep my religion to myself, simply because I don't think that it's important to brag or otherwise publicize my own belief system. It's more peaceful and much more ethical.

    -Noah Arnold

    ReplyDelete
  2. as we saw in our lesson about the trade between the different kehilot, many of these communities were unified. they traded together and in doing so managed to keep the language to communicate. Hebrew does help unify the Jewish people often because not many other religions are universally prayed to in the same language.
    I think there is a way to be tied to the Jewish people while also blending in with the cultures around. as long as the blending of cultures doesn't result in avodah zarah, it is fine to interact and spend time with those of a different religion and to blend in and mix cultures. As Noah said, there is no need to flaunt religion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many of these kehilot were unified seeing as there is so much influence from the surrounding peoples. Although physically the Jews may have been separated from the others there were still many ways they could have been influenced by surrounding cultures. If I were a Jew living in Europe at that time, I would probably want to be able to be identified as a Jew easily. In that time, If someone was secluded in their Jewish community, they all dress the same. They my have an underlying influence from an outside culture, but they could easily be spotted s a Jew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that the Jews were somewhat unified, but also had their different traditions. This was shown by the varying but similar fashions and designs from the artifacts from around the world at this time. The fashions of the people and even the designs of the hanukiot were so different, but held similar central qualities that showed that no matter where Jews were in the world, they all had a similar basis to their way of life. If I was a Jew living in the middle ages, I would definitely want to blend in to a point. I wouldn’t want to totally single myself out, but I also wouldn’t want to be completely assimilated and change the way I am as a Jew. I think that I would do what many Jews of the Middle Ages did: dress and act similarly to those around me, but also dress and act slightly different so that I am recognized as a Jew and am able to keep up my Jewish traditions.

    -Rachael Coleman

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we had a fair mix of both unity and difference. As a whole, they all spoke Hebrew and the most of them shared the same profession which is impressive. Though we might have developed a bit differently given our surroundings and environment I don't think that made us any less of a unified people. We got around to each other and were hospitable and kind, I think that's enough to say they were like one big community. Honestly, back then I'd probably blend in a bit more with the surrounding culture. Don't get me wrong I'd still be Jewish... just more closely like we as Jews are now. I think that's perfectly acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although the Jews were dispersed and immersed in different cultures, they kept true to their judaism and stayed unified. They spoke hebrew and celebrated Jewish holidays and Shabbat. Although they mayeb had different styles to their ways of Jewish traditions and culture, it still was Judaism and that's what matters when it comes down to it. If I was in the position where I want to express my Judaism, but I don't live in a Jewish-focused society, I would conform to the cultures but keep to my Judaism.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although many Jewish people during the middle ages were immersed in other cultures because of their locations, they managed to stay united. By maintaining the oral tradition, as well as speaking Hebrew, Jews everywhere were able to stay connected. Shabbat, and other Jewish holidays gave the Jewish people opportunity to celebrate and reflect on past and present traditions within the religion. If i were to be living during the time of the Middle ages i believe that i would not only be influenced by my Jewish roots, but also by the cultures around me. Just as today, there are not many Jews where i live so i am constantly surrounded by people from other religious backgrounds, but that does not mean that i feel any less Jewish because other influences and views are around me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even though the Jews were separated regionally, they were connected culturally. Even though their dress had changed based on location, and sometimes their names had changed, the language was what kept Jews connected to one another. Even though many Jews led a lifestyle that lent itself to long periods of travel, they could find connection in any number of communities because of the importance of Hebrew. Yet despite the ease of access to Judaism, if I were a Jew in the middle ages, I would want to keep my Judaism not necessarily a secret, but I wouldn't want to advertise it. Even though Jews fit in in most a lot of societies, anti-semitism was growing and I think it would have been safer to practice quietly rather than making a public point of my Judaism.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that it is impossible to say that the Jews were unified in the same way that they were before the Diaspora. Still, unifying elements have tied Jewish people together for hundreds of years, and do the same to this day. The network of community and friendship between Jews across the entire globe attests to this connectedness. Although there were many kehilot, jews in the Middle Ages created a global kehillah. Middle Ages is a broad term, and there was a tremendous decline in the treatment of jews. While I think a jew at any time would like to be out and proud about their Judaism, it is certainly possible that I would have tried to hide my Judaism due to growing anti semitism.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Depending on the time, Jews could be separated or connected. The Jews between Ashkenaz and Spain were not connected, but the Jews in their own communities were connected, and because of the trader nature of the Jews of Ashkenaz, they most likely were very much connected. If I was a Jew in this time, I would inherit part of other cultures, but hopefully in order to connect with the other Jews.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In their many קהילות, I believe the Jews were unified; but only in the קהילות do I believe they were unified. I do not believe that the Jews from one קהילה were unified even a little, if not at all, with the Jews from another קהילה. However if a Jew were to leave one and go to another, I do believe he or she would be welcomed by the latter.
    If I were a Jew during this selected period of time, if in a קהילה, I do most definitely believe that I would be religious in all aspects of my life. But if I lived during that day and age with the same ideology and beliefs I have now, I can most definitely guarantee I would be secular, (but with the knowledge of religion so as I truly know why who I am and why), and assimilated in all aspects other than religion.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I believe the Jews at this time were still very unified. I believe its very much like today that if another person is jewish you instantly have this bond with them. You know you share the same values and traditions. In a few minutes this person can be your friend. Going back to the middle ages jewish merchants were traveling all over and they never had to worry about keeping the sabbath because they knew there would always be a jew to help them along their journey. If i was a Jew in the middle ages i would want to stick out as a jew i believe that as a jew i should be loyal to the country i live in but i also have a rich history of ancestors, culture, and language that i couldn't give up. In order to honor my ancestors i would stick out as a jew and be proud to be a jew

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that the Jews were more separate when it came to those in communities in other places; however, when it came to each individual community I believe they were more unified than ever. In each community the Jews dressed slightly different than those around them. So the Jews in Hungary would look like each other, but they wouldn't look like the Jews in Poland. Because they all did something to make it known that they were Jewish, other Jews would recognize when a Jew walked by. I believe that this made the Jewish community in individual places more unified. This being said, I would want it to be known that I was a Jew in that time period.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the Jews were even more unified than ever. When the merchants traveled, they always had a place to go and feel at home. I feel if it is the same way today, I feel no matter where I am there will be some one Jewish who will be there. NFTY has helped me with this idea, and because of NFTY and Jewish Summer Camp I know some one in every region of the US, so no matter were I go ill have some one to see, and I also know jews in Israel (well I can come here and know people), England, and Amsterdam and Germany. I know as a jew I would be part of the Kehillah Kedosha, and I feel like I have turned my life into one with all the Judaism I have put into it.

    ReplyDelete