Sunday, October 18, 2015

Oral Law: Lexi

I chose the mitzvah from Leviticus 19:32, it says, "You shall rise before the aged and show deference to the old." I chose this mitzvah because it talks about paying respect to your elders, and that was always a very important value for me growing up. I interpret this mitzvah to mean that it is important to not only pay respects to your elders, but to visit them and listen to them. I fulfill this mitzvah in my life by doing my best to talk to my grandparents at least once a week, wether it is in person, on the phone, or through a letter or email. It can be a guideline in the modern world today because it is not only important to respect your elders, but it is important to listen and engage with them because they are your history, your ancestry, and you can learn a lot from them.



Pictured above, is me and my grandma on my mom's side. My grandmother is sweet and attentive and is always up for a puzzle some small talk or just hanging out. I love to talk with her about anything and everything. My grandpa is an author, so he alway has a good story to tell. When I was a kid I loved to listen to the children stories he wrote and now that I'm older I enjoy reading his adult literature and sending him my own writing to talk about. I love every minute spent with my grandparents, and it is especially important to maintain a strong connection with them not only because of how happy it makes me, but because of the joy it brings them.

2 comments:

  1. I agree and can relate to this mitzvah as well. It's inspiring how much you can care for your elders and how dedicated you are to shwoing respect. It's an important mitzvah to follow, and your grandparents seem like great people to express that mitzvah to. I also agree in that it can be a guideline in the modern world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with this מצוה because if one has the capability to rise before and show their greatness to the old is amazing. For to prove that one has greatness to an older person is a challenge for he or she has seen, heard, and lived great moments. So to prove that you are are great, truly means that you really are doing something amazing and bringing new light to the elderly they believed for so long that they have lost years prior.

    ReplyDelete