Saturday, October 17, 2015

Oral Law Assignment


The mitzvah I chose is in verses 33 and 34, “When a stranger resides with you in your land, you shall not wrong him. The stranger who resides with you shall be to you as one of your citizens; you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I the Lord am your God.” (Leviticus, 20.4, 19, 33-34) I interpret this mitzvah as a form of God saying that as Jews, we have to welcome and accept anyone that’s visiting our land. It’s our duty to be accepting and kind to anyone who is a stranger somewhere because we were once strangers in Egypt as well. In my daily life, I am thankful for this mitzvot every single day. Although it doesn’t feel like it, I am technically a stranger in Israel and I have always felt so welcomed and accepted here. It’s important to me that Israel feels like home, and it's because this mitzvah that has been achieved. EIE, family, friends, and everyone that I have stayed with in Israel have been more than welcoming and I could never shake the feeling that a huge part of that is because we all share being part of the Jewish community. Because of this, I will remember to always apply it to my life at home and as a modern Jew. The obvious application of this mitzvah in Israel has inspired me to always welcome someone who is new to my school or town. Even if that person isn’t Jewish, it’s an important value and mitzvah to have to be welcoming to anyone who is new and isn’t as familiar with everything as I am. Although it has changed in the sense that Jewish or not, I would generally not let any stranger just stay in my house, I will always remember to be as welcoming and kind as the people of Israel have been to me.



The picture I’ve chosen to express my mitzvah was taken at Tzuba, right outside on my balcony. I chose to take this and use it to symbolize my mitzvah because it serves as proof that I do have a home here, and I feel like I’m at home here. In the picture you can see the Judean Hills, the land that I’m a guest in. You can also see the flags that Tzuba has out right outside the lobby, American and Israeli. These flags are a message to me that I’m welcome here at the kibbutz and in this country. A couple of flags and the immense care of the staff and people here are enough to prove that the mitzvah is true, I am loved as a stranger that resides in somebody else’s home. Those are only two symbols of the mitzvah, along with all of the other times I have felt like I belong here in Israel.

2 comments:

  1. I think that this mitzvah is important, especially her in Israel. With the conflict going on it becomes increasingly important that people show others, whether they be Jews, Arabs, or guests, that they are welcome. Even if it just saying hello to someone, or letting someone pass you in a line. Every small gesture adds up, Every action, no matter how small or insignificant it may seem, makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a מצוה that really should be taken to heart, more than ever due to the rising conflict in ארץ ישראל. But what is most depressing about this conflict going on now is that even after 2.5 thousand more years of history after יציאת מצרים, we (Jews) still have trouble fulfilling this commandment. And we know perfectly well how it is to be a stranger in a foreign land. So why do we not follow this commandment with all our hearts? This is a great מצוה; but sadly, a wasted one as well.

    ReplyDelete