Sunday, October 18, 2015

Oral Law Assignment: Daniella

“You shall not insult the deaf, or place a stumbling block before the blind. You shall fear your God: I am the Lord.” (Leviticus 19:14)

“Oral Law” Surrounding this Pasuk (building a fence around this verse)
  1. Respect people with disabilities, for they are also created b’tzelem elohim, in the image of Gd.
  2. Do not intentionally make more difficult that which is already difficult for a person.
  3. Accept the differences of those around you.
  4. Do not take personal ability for granted, or boast of it over others.

I chose to interpret this verse as not only referring to the deaf and blind, but to all disabled people. In addition, I took the “insult” and placing of the “stumbling block” as metaphors for a greater concept: one should respect both people who have disabilities and the challenges those disabilities present.
I chose this verse because I feel very strongly about the rights of people with disabilities, and about the ways in which they are treated. My older sister is severely disabled, and I have encountered the prejudice people bear towards the disabled merely because they may seem different on the surface. In my everyday life, I fulfill this commandment by trying to spend as much time with my older sister as possible, even when I fill my time with other commitments. The most important way I connect with my sister is through eye contact, because though she is not capable of speech or sign language, she can communicate so much through her eyes. My sister’s disability makes her slow to initiate eye contact, but spending the time to make that very simple, basic human connection with her is so important to me. Taking this time to connect with my sister consistently brings a smile to her face, because it is not something that most people who see her take the time to do. They think that because of her physical appearance, she must not have things to express or communicate. People who have this preconceived notions about my sister or any person with a physical disability are making an understandable mistake, but one that is based on prejudicial judgements that are due to appearance. I try to show respect for my sister by taking time to talk to her, and by making sustained eye contact with her, as much as possible. This shows a regard for her emotional and social needs that I feel many people ignore.


This photo is of my mom and my older sister during a family vacation. Most of the family had been paddleboarding, but my mom chose to stay in the shade with my sister, Naomi. This is a small and simple example of the sacrifices my parents make in order to respect Naomi’s needs. Although my mom would have loved to have been with the rest of the family doing a fun activity, Naomi’s needs and abilities are just as important as anyone else’s. In addition to showing respect for Naomi’s ability, the part of the verse that states “you shall not insult the deaf,” my parents do countless things every day in order to not “put a stumbling block” before Naomi; they do everything they can to make Naomi’s life dignified and pleasant.

3 comments:

  1. I think that this is a very important mitzvah. The world is constantly growing and evolving and i believe that that makes this mitzvah even more necessary. It is so important that as the world is evolving, we make sure that we are not leaving anyone behind. This could mean getting a rmp put in the addition of your school, or sitting with someone or changing an activity for someone who may not be able to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am genuinely touched by your entire post and particularly the part about how you communicate with Naomi through eye contact. Naomi, in her own way, is sharing her story and her feelings through the power of her vision and you, as a dedicated sister, are a blessed recipient of what she is able to teach you. Naomi, too, is blessed to have a sibling like you. The verse you cited from ויקרא is often used and interpreted to protect the rights of individuals with disabilities and I love the Oral Law you built around it. Thanks for sharing Daniella!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a powerful and important mitzvah, especially in your situation. It's so important to be respectul and accepting those who are different than you. It's so touching that although it's hard, you can share a special bond with your sister that I'm sure many people could never comprehend. It's so great that you can express and practice this mitzvah within your own home and family because you're bettering the world, and I'm sure Naomi's life, every day. Your connection to the mitzvah is inspiring and should be taken to heart by everyone.

    ReplyDelete