Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Leviticus 19:29: was G-d a feminist?

I chose Leviticus 19:29 which reads "Do not degrade your daughter and make her a harlot, lest the land fall into harlotry and the land be filled with depravity."
This verse really speaks to me as a feminist. It does not allow slut-shaming, which is still incredibly relevant to our society today. If you do slut shame, or "make [your daughter] into a harlot," the verse continues, you will have cursed the land and filled it with prostitution and sin. (It is important to note that it is not the daughter that has cursed the land, but he who turns his daughter into a harlot.) This is an important message to send in modern times as the word "slut" is thrown around so casually and used so often. Though once in biblical times it was acceptable for a father to prositute his daughter, this verse encourages and requires respect. We must not judge any girl for her sexuality and we must not make the world wicked with the unrealistic amount of girls we call "sluts" and "whores."
I have loved this mosaic since the first time I saw it in the Belmont. I think it beautifully embodies female beauty and expression. I interpret this picture as an African American woman singing in front of an audience. Since singers and those in the media now are often those that are slut shamed and judged by those that have never met them or those that are jealous, I thought this picture was extremely relevant to this commandment. The fact that she is black also ties in the extreme history of the American treatment of African Americans, from slavery to rape and all of the mistreatment in between. I think this woman embodies the ideal female expression and is a perfect example of the commandment, and I commend God for being the first feminist and for God's respect of the female body. 

3 comments:

  1. I appreciate this interpretation because at the time when the Tanach was written or compiled, the Jews lived in a patriarchal, non-egalitarian society. When we can take ancient verses and apply modern day values to them, it makes our Judaism stronger, because we are adapting to the times. The issue of feminism and equality is not necessarily a Jewish value, but the ability to interpret it as such speaks volumes for the dedication Judaism has to social action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this post, I think it is important today when shaming females is such a large part of culture now. I also as a strong feminist and civil rights activist love the connection you made in this post, I have seen this picture many times and could not figure out my appeal to it but now I can make the strong connection with our Tanakh and a beautiful peice of art

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this post, I think it is important today when shaming females is such a large part of culture now. I also as a strong feminist and civil rights activist love the connection you made in this post, I have seen this picture many times and could not figure out my appeal to it but now I can make the strong connection with our Tanakh and a beautiful peice of art

    ReplyDelete