Friday, December 18, 2015

Etgar Keret: One Last Story and That's It

 This story is about a demon that job is to take talents away from people. The demon gets to the house of a man, and the man does not give much hassle, and says thank you for the talent given to him and offers snacks and lemonade. He then ask if he could have one last story, and the demon says sure. As the man is taking his one last story, the demon realizes how kind and nurturing this man is, and finally gets the one last story, which was quite the moving story. The man then ask " what do you do with all the talent you take?" and the demon responds with a simple I don't know. After that the demon takes his talent, and complains about the 2 more people he must take talents from.
  I think the author wants to share how hard it is to recognize all the talent one has, and how peoples talents go to waste easily. Relating to Israel, I feel as if a lot of movements and people get covered up by the overwhelming effects of the pure idea that they a the correct Jew and everyone else isn't. I also find it wrong that a Jewish state, is willing to oppress people, and not find them a home and comfort, because every one has their own struggles. I personally connected most with the part of the story when the man ask where does the talent go, and the demon doesn't know. I personally believe that if everyone in our world had equal opportunity, then we would have accomplished so much more in every way. There could be a kid destined to be a painter, but never has a chance too because his school doesn't have a art program, or another kid be find cures for horrible diseases, but cant afford to go to school and works multiple jobs just to eat. Many children hear the words " You can not do that because...". As a female, I have been told that I couldn't be smart or strong. I consider myself filled with a passion for knowledge, and strong enough to be able to work through obstacles. I think as a people we should build each other up, not down, and we can accomplish so much more. It is so hard to build each other up with the challenge over who's oppression is worst than the others. Well, I think my struggles of being a Jewish female teen are not any more important than a struggle of a black adult or child with a disability. I stand up for people, not any particular race, gender, religion, sex, or characteristic. We are people with Talents. We all want to tell one last story, and should embrace oppression with snacks and lemonade, not with a competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment