Sunday, November 29, 2015

Thursays to Tiyul to Latrun, Ayalon Institute in Rehovot, AND Tel Aviv!

Thursday's tiyul was a fun and packed day full of all different kinds of activities. We started the day off at Latrun, a base used by Arabs and Jews during the War of Independence. As we sat and drank tea and coffee flawlessly made by Marina and Sarah, we learned of how the IDF issued five attacks on Latrun in attempts to take it for our own land, but we lost every time. This was during the first stage of the war, when the Arabs had the upper hand and had control of all of the mountains around Jerusalem, as well as the major battle front: the road to Jerusalem. As we sat and took notes, we learned about Operation Yehushua Bennun, the operation dedicated to taking over Latrun. We discussed the brutaliy of these lost attempts to gain power over the base, and how the Jordanian Legion beat us there, making it so when the Jews arrived, we found ourselves under heavy fire. We also learned about Hadassah Lampel, a Jew smuggled to Israel from Siberia, who unfortunately died in the second Latrun attack. Along with Hadassah Lampel, we discussed David (or Micky) Marcus, an American who fought as a commander in the IDF on the Jerusalem front. He paved the goat path from Jerusalem down to Tel Aviv. Unfortunately, Micky Marcus was killed in an accident in which one of our own shot him, not realizing who it was. He's considered a huge hero for all that he did for Israel. From where we were taking notes, we had a nice view of the road to Jerusalem. As we watched a motorcycle drive by and disappear, we imagined what it was like 1947, with convoys driving down that road instead of motorcycles. We then walked around and got to see the monument that looks like a silver platter, symbolizing that Israel was not handed to us on a silver platter. As well as the monument, we all had a ton of fun playing on all of the tanks and taking tons of cool pictures (Which I wish I could put up, but my phone broke!)







At Machon Ayalon, we were all surprised at the big secret that the Kibbutz held during the war. The underground bullet producing factory was cool to explore and see as we learned about all they did for the country. Through the workers' tremendous war effort, they were able to provide ammo for the soldiers fighting to make sure that they didn't run out. I think that it's amazing that if it wasn't for them, Israel may not have won the war. Ordinary young people were keeping such a large secret and doing an immensely brave thing for the sake of the war. They were risking their own lives by keeping the secret from the world, and literally the people walking right above them. They were also working with explosive material while making the bullets, and were even able to test out the guns while making ammunition without anyone finding out. There was so much going on underneath everyone's noses, and through great effort, their hard work paid off and their ammunition was well used by the members of the IDF to help win the war that would ensure our country's independence.




The establishment of the state was a huge step for the people of Israel. When we arrived in Tel Aviv, we went to Independence Hall to learn all about how Ben Gurion gathered so many important poeple to hurredly announce the establishment of the state before shabbat starting. The day the British left Israel, he secretly sent out invitations to this event, although word got out and soon Rothschild street was packed with people waiting to hear the news about their home. This was so rushed that the invites didn't even say the word Israel on them yet because they hadn't agreed on a name for the state yet. By the beginning of shabbat on May 14th, 1948, Israel was declared an independent state by Ben Gurion, and war soon followed. All of the chalutzim and the Yeshivot could finally proudly call themselves successful and a part of the state of Israel.


I think we all had a ton of fun doing the Start Up Hunt! I know that I learned a ton of new things about start ups in Tel Aviv and how they work. Splitting up in to groups and competing against each other was so fun because it was good motivation and teamwork, but at the same time exploring the city and learning so much! I know a lot of us got some good food and all contributed to the groups effort into the competition. I learned how many Russians there really are in Tel Aviv when the first person my group was Russian. Erin also learned how to make a frozen yogurt, and we all thanked the nice man behind the bar for giving us free popsicles. We learned of some cool spots like a hidden modern library in a building, and that ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS! (shoutout to whoever got that because it took us a while) I think we all realized how hard it was to hit  a ball back and forth on paddles ten consecutive times as well. Thursday's tiyul was full of surprises, realizations, and tons of new knowledge. What are your guys' opinions on the bullet factory? Would you have participated? Also, would you have the chutzpah to create a Start Up in Tel Aviv, and if so what would your start up do? What did you guys interpret the silver platter monument to show? **PS Mazel Tov to Purple Team for winning the race!!**
Love, Sarah

14 comments:

  1. I thought that the bullet factory was so so unique and impressive. Not only did there have to be such a secretive notion and way of going about working for this underground company, but once they no longer had to hide it the original members of this plan were so humble and did not feel the need to be recognized. I most definitely would have wanted to take part in such a movement because it was used to help Israel defend itself. I loved the high tech scavenger hunt that we did in Tel Aviv later that day. The balance between learning about Israel and its insane amount of start up companies as well as running up and down RothChilds street with Ariella was so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the people who worked in the bullet factory are the unsung heroes of the war. Not everyone can fight on the front lines, or command a line of tanks across the hills. Providing essential supplies in a hidden manner the way they did is one of the many reasons we have a state at all today. It is something I would much rather participate in than in the actual fighting, especially considering that mechanical production of this fashion can be extremely fulfilling.
    As for our startup activity, it is definitely not something that I would ever think about doing. Startups have always seemed to be about making boatloads of money rather than actually providing a valuable service, and even if this isn't true on the individual scale, it certainly is looking at the industry as a whole. It does take a lot to throw yourself into a startup--it's an all or none setup. I am fairly risk averse, so startups are much less attractive to me than established businesses and industries.

    -Noah Arnodl

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story of the bullet factory was really interesting to me. The dedication to their mission is really inspiring. I would definitely would have participated in that movement. Working in the bullet factory is a really affective way to help with the war without fighting on the front lines.
    The Start Up nation in Tel Aviv is an amazing thin that shows the entrepreneurial spirit that is so prominent in Israel. Starting company, I would definitely want to do it in Tel Aviv. I love the progressive ideas shared throughout the Start Up nation. I don't know what my start up would do, though, since I can't say I am very good at using technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I thought the factory was creative and interesting, I could never do anything like that. I know I couldnt really keep it a secret because the moment something would go wrong or get brought up I would basically share. I enjoyed seeing the start ups in tel aviv, and I wish the world got more of that type of view of Israel. It also shows how much the fighting for a state was worth because there are so many Israelis doing great things, big or small. It is so cool how no matter what job you have in Israel your job contributes big or small, and sometimes I wish there was more ways the US could value their people like in Israel. I also would like to state.... tanks are really fun to climb on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought that the bullet factory was really interesting. I found it incredible that the workers there were able to keep it a secret. I have such a loud mouth, I’d have a hard time keeping something like that a secret from everyone. I also thought it brave that the workers were putting their lives and others at risk to help their country and their people during the war. I think that I would have participated if given the choice, but at the same time because some things are hard for me to keep quiet, I might opt out for fear of giving anyone away. I don’t think that I would be able to create a start up in Tel Aviv. I don’t have any talents that I feel the need to create a company out of. I don’t remember what the silver platter monument is.

    -Rachael Coleman

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that the bullet factory was quite remarkable in its secrecy and daily operations, as well as in the humility of its workers. Given the opportunity to contribute to the development of the State of Israel in this way, I would gladly accept. Although working in the bullet factory was accompanied by many risks and daily challenges, I think that working in this way to aid Israel would be a great honor.

    While creating a startup is a risky and scary endeavor, it is something I definitely consider. Tel Aviv may not be the city in which I imagine myself starting a business, but the idea itself is very appealing to me. To be able to create your own name, schedule, and a positive impact on the world as a livelihood is something that seems almost too good to be true.

    The silver platter memorial represents the idea that the State was not simply handed to us. Although we eventually achieved independence, it definitely came at a price. I think the fact that this monument is at Latrun, a site which endured bitter battle after bitter battle, is very fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The clandestine munitions factory at the Ayalon Institute was my favorite part of this tiyul. It's a place I've been to before, and both times I was struck by the selflessness and bravery that it must have taken to work there. I would be honored to work there, and to me, it's a perfect example of the kind of action needed to help create and secure the state of Israel. It seems like the heroes who worked in the munitions factory are worthy of recognition, just as those names listed on the silver platter memorial. Our generation has never known a world without the state of Israel, but I think it's important to realize that there was a generation who saw the world without Israel, and gave themselves fully to it's creation. In a way, I think the startup culture of Israel is very special, because it's continuing the creation of Israel every day, making new products, and giving Israel the means to survive in a modern world. I don't know if I could create my own startup, but I think the people who try are pursuing something very noble.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed the tiyul to the bullet factory because I found it so interesting and couargous that these young adults cared enough about their country to participate in illegal work. I think that I definitly participated in the factory because it is showing a special dedication to your people that you don't always get the chance to show on an everyday basis. Also the fact that these people were told to keep this mission a secret for over 20 years and they didn't care. They didn't need recognition for what they had been doing because they knew that they were helping the country and their people one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked the bullet factory. It is an amazing story of people that fuelled the success in the war without any demand for recognition, and therefore, I would love to participate in this if i was allowed. Since my mom is an entrepreneur, I understand the process and the difficulties of starting a business and would therefore be able to start my own business. I would want to start an entirely vegetarian restaurant. I think the sliver platter represents the effort and losses we put in and endured throughout the war. It proves that every action we did led to our victory and none of it came easy to us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The story of ammunition hill was a great story full of courage from people risking their lives to support the state of Israel. To think that these people had to live under such secrecy on a daily basis in a small underground place is amazing. Personally I would most likely if given the option would make bullets for my fellow freedom fighters. Even though the idea of having a start up sounds interesting and exciting I don't think I would start up a company. The reason for is I feel it's not a guarantee of financial stability and therefore I would invest in other safer ways. The silver platter represented that if we want it we have to fight for it because nothing will come to you just for wanting it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The people that worked in the factory had a lot of courage and bravery to put themselves in danger in order to help the IDF during the War of Independence. I think that I would've participated in the bullet making process if I was given the opportunity because it was a crucial job in winning the war. I personally don't feel that I would be able to create a Start Up company because it would be risky financially. I also think that the symbol of the silver platter was meaningful because it showed that establishing Israel wasn't an easy task and had to be worked for.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought the bullet factory was- *cough, full of of badassery, cough, cough!* I thought the courage those young men and women showed by working down there was amazing. Personally, I would work down there if I could. But it was top secret so I do not believe I'd even work there if I was fighting at the time.
    Also, I would not create my own start-up company because it is not something that interests me in the slightest. I'm not a desk jockey kind of guy, and there is also the lack of money and credit that would would keep me from doing so.
    The silver platter showed how hard the חלוצים had to work in order to make life possible for Israelis in the future. Not only that but it shows what Israelis must keep doing in order to have a life depicted by the silver platter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What are your guys' opinions on the bullet factory? Would you have participated? Also, would you have the chutzpah to create a Start Up in Tel Aviv, and if so what would your start up do? What did you guys interpret the silver platter monument to show? **PS Mazel Tov to Purple Team for winning the race!!**
    Love, Sarah The bullet factory was a genius idea, and one of the most interesting things I think was that nobody knew about for such a long time. even after people were living above the factory. I would hope that I would be able to join the factory. I don't know that I would be brave enough to join in, but I hope I could be. The same goes for the startups, because my dad works with Israeli startups, and I know that the majority of those startups are a bust, and the idea of putting all of my hopes in one thing is something that scares me. The silver platter is something I feel uncomfortable with. I don't like the idea of saying that we used the death of people to attain Israel. This reminds me of how people say that the Holocaust is the reason that Israel exists.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the bullet factory was a lovely thing as well as a very well played diligent thing. It would take immense courage and devotion to your country doing something so risky. I don't think I'd ever make a start up company just because I have no ideas or interests in doing so. All my future plans are very different and I would have a hard time just working at a desk. I'm not Mr. Suit and Tie Guy, nor will i ever be. Lastly about the silver platter, I think it goes to show the immense amount of appreciation we should have for the chalutzim. They worked so hard and did so much to make living in israel a possibility for those to come after them.

    ReplyDelete